Monday 16 July 2012

M: Our knowledge can only be finite, while our ignorance must necessarily be infinite.

I was going to write a spirited essay on why numbers don't exist, but my blog trawling dredged up too many articles on how there might be such a thing as a smallest indivisible particle and/or unit of energy, which both confused and enraged me. I had to have a coffee and a sandwich- and I still didn't figure it out. May god damn physicists. Instead I figured I should compile fundamentals all three of us agree on- don't expect much.

"I am, I exist"

Even after we rid ourselves of all assumed knowledge, I can't conceive a way of denying this. From Descartes' Meditations.

"I think, therefore I am"

This seems to follow naturally. To determine one is implies the process of thought- and simply the process of thought implies an existence of sorts. I am informed some people have problems with the use of "I" in the former part of the statement, claiming it does not mesh with forms of identity theory. We are not those people- fuck those people.


That is impossible to prove the existence of a world outside the mind.

We create worlds we believe in every night and only realise their fiction by the morning. We are constrained entirely by our senses, and we know full-well that these can be deceived. To say there is a world separate from the world of perception is to claim knowledge drawn indubitably from outside of the mind, and the only way one theoretically interacts with other entities is through the senses. You can't open a box with a crowbar that's inside the box.

M

No comments:

Post a Comment